Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Random thoughts about XAML, WFML and similar concepts

I have given a course about .Net 3.0 this week and I was quite impressed when going through the labs about what XAML actually can accomplish.

XAML is basically an XML-based markup “language” that allows you to build up objects using a declarative syntax. When looking for more info I suddenly stumbled upon this article by Joe Stegman which demonstrates something similar called Windows Forms Markup Language (WFML - a 2005 article). Which again led me to this blogpost which talks about Glade and the GTK# UI in Linux - and basically says that the idea of using XML markup for representing UI is not quite new. For more info about Glad - a free interface builder for GTK+ and GNOME - take a look at http://glade.gnome.org/

Again from here, you are not very far away from similar things such as MyXAML (Also a project which started in 2004) .

 

I guess I completely missed all these geeky little frameworks - probably serves me right for being so SharePoint focussed :) ...

tags: , , ,

No comments: