Tuesday, December 12, 2006

SharePoint 2007 upgrade - Technical and Business?

Mauro recently wrote down some random thoughts on WSS 3.0/MOSS 2007 - I'm going to quote a piece which I think was very important :

Speaking of upgrade, I think there are two types: Technical and Business.  I've seen a lot written already about the various options for upgrading (in-place, side-by-side, etc.).  These are all METHODS of the Technical Upgrade.  The goal is to simply stand a V3 instance of a V2 portal.  This is very different than a Business Upgrade.  Here we focus on leveraging new features, redesigning outdated taxonomies, etc.  When I present, I explain these (I'm a visual person) as two steps: (1) Lateral (my hands move left to right) to explain a technical upgrade and (2) Upward (my hands my up) to explain a business upgrade.  Both are different; each requires its own planning.

tags: , , , ,

No comments: