Friday, December 11, 2009

Installing SharePoint Server 2010 Dev Box

I finished installing my new SharePoint Server 2010 Dev box a couple of weeks ago … and forgot to publish this post. So here it goes. Installing a SharePoint Server 2010 is not that difficult since there is a lot of guidance out there. It’s really amazing how detailed the documentation is – especially since we are only at Beta 2. So what documentation did I use:

So here’s my software configuration:

All the above prerequisites are the same for SharePoint Server 2010 and SharePoint Foundation 2010 (except for the ADOMD.NET which is used for Excel Services and PerformancePoint Services – thanks Spence for the clarification). So if you plan to create both – this is the moment to create a snapshot. Next just follow the steps as outlined in Deploy a single server with SQL Server (SharePoint 2010)

On to the installation of language packs – I definitely want to check out the new MUI experience. For documentation take a look at Deploy language packs (SharePoint Server 2010) – same applies as for SharePoint Server 2007 - you must first install the SharePoint Foundation 2010 language packs before you install the SharePoint Server 2010 language packs. However I did not see the step with “On the Modify Server Farm Settings page, click Do not disconnect from this server farm, and then click Next.”

Afterwards I installed Visual Studio 2010 beta 2 as well as the Visual Studio 2010 SDK – this is something which you should probably install before installing SharePoint because the first time everything froze during install and I had to restart.

PS I’m using a Dell Precision M4400 with 8 GB RAM and SSD hard disk to run this stuff … works like a charm.

3 comments:

harry said...

Hi,

This artical is very useful for me. I am a Share Point developer and always looking to

learn something new. I would like to introduce another good SharePoint blog, Have a look.

http://SharePointBank.com
Harry

EM said...

Hi, I'm planning to install Sharepoint + SCOM. Do you think it's easy to make a development to simple monitor SCOM via web using Sharepoint?? My plan is to let HelpDesk watch only some tips of my SCOM just to have a quick first level support. I never did it before...Thanks

Suresh Lasantha said...

Hi,

Thank you very much for your valuable information. i need to know what are the differences between 2007 version with 2010?

http://sharepoint2.blogspot.com