Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Quick tip - copying files from your host to Hyper-V guest

I have been working with VMWare for quite a while but recently switched to Hyper-V on my Windows 8 portable. One thing I’m still struggling with is the ability to easily copy files from my host OS (Windows 8) to my guest OS which is running in Hyper-V. Currently I’m using Folder2Iso to quickly create ISO files which I then mount in my Hyper-V environment. If anyone knows of a better way of doing this – please leave a comment.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Why don't you just RDP to your machine, and mount your local drive (folder) to the RDP session? Or just use the copy-paste using RDP?

You can also make a shared folder on your host, and access it on your Hyper-V guest..

Makes sense, no?

AC said...

Check this out... this is how I do it and it's much easier. Also enables RDP connections which makes copy/paste super easy:

http://www.andrewconnell.com/allowing-a-host-machine-to-talk-to-guest-vms-in-hyper-v

Anonymous said...

Copy-VMFile is a new PowerShell cmdlet in Hyper-V 2012 (R2?)

http://vniklas.djungeln.se/2013/08/07/exploring-the-hyper-v-2012-r2-and-copy-vmfile-powershell-cmdlet/

Anonymous said...

Alexander - That will work, assuming your guest and host are on the same network. They may not be, however.