Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Using Power Automate Flows to sent daily RSS digest e-mails of Power Platform documentation updates

It is quite a challenge to keep up with the rapid updates of the Microsoft documentation on Power Platform but did you know that you can use a RSS feed based on a search in the Microsoft documentation? https://docs.microsoft.com/api/search/rss?search=powerapps&locale=en will return a RSS feed with all recently updated pages on https://docs.microsoft.com about the Power Platform.

Power Automate contains a RSS feed to send e-mail template but this flow will sent out an e-mail every time a page is updated which will flood your mailbox. So I built my own flow to receive a daily digest e-mail using Power Automate.


Here are some of the things I learned on the way (to be honest I don't use Power Automate flows that often):

  • I trigger the Power Automate Flow on a daily basis so I am using the List All RSS feed items actions to RSS feed items since a specific date (use the formatDateTime function for the expected format)

  • Some days no new RSS feed items will be published, so you need to check if the RSS body is not empty, otherwise you will sent out empty e-mails.

DM me on Twitter (@jopxtwits ) if you are interested in receiving an export of the Power Automate Flow.





No comments: