When you attempt to create a new area in SharePoint Portal Server 2003 after applying Windows SharePoint Services Service Pack 2 you receive the following error message:
An error has occurred in the portal site. Contact the portal site administrator for assistance.
The file timestamps on the SharePoint SQL script files is incorrect. These files are located in
Because the timestamps are incorrect WSS SP 2 did not update these files and subsequently the stored procedures for the content databases were not updated.
1. Remove the *.SQL files in location
2. Go to Add/Remove Programs, Windows SharePoint Services, Repair/Reinstall.
3. Select 'Detect and Repair errors in Microsoft Windows Sharepoint Services 2.0 installation'.
4. After repair completes you will need to force an upgrade so the stored procedures on the content databases are updated.
To complete this step, use the Stsadm.exe command-line tool to force an upgrade of the content databases.
To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. At the command prompt, type the following lines, and then press ENTER after each line:
cd /d %commonprogramfiles%\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\60\Bin
stsadm -o upgrade -forceupgrade
3. Type exit to quit Command Prompt.