If you are an architect who is new to SharePoint development - you should start of by looking at the latest updated version of SharePoint guidance - SharePoint Guidance - Patterns & Practices [MSDN]. Definitely take a look at SharePoint Guidance on Codeplex and download SharePoint guidance for November 2008.
This guidance helps architects and developers build SharePoint intranet applications. A reference implementation (RI) demonstrates solutions to common architectural, development and lifecycle management challenges.
This guidance discusses the following:
- Architectural decisions about patterns, feature factoring and packaging.
- Design tradeoffs for common decisions many developers encounter.
- Implementation examples demonstrated in the RI and in the QuickStarts.
- How to design for testability, create unit tests, and run continuous integration.
- Set up of development, build, test, staging, and production environments.
- Managing the application life cycle including upgrade.
- Team-based intranet application development.
The following areas are not discussed in this version of the guidance:
- Content-oriented sites that use Web content management
- Internet and enterprise-scale SharePoint applications
- Multilingual SharePoint applications
- Scale or security testing of SharePoint applications
To avoid common pitfalls and keep your Office SharePoint Server 2007 environment available and performing well, follow these best practices based on real-world experience from Microsoft Consulting Services and the product team.