I finished reinstalling my portable with Windows 7 over the weekend and I must admit it was a smooth experience. So what do I install on my Windows 7:
- Windows Live Writer – my favorite blog writing tool – I also use the Insert Code for Windows Live Writer plugin. There are a whole bunch of other Windows Live Writer Extensions available online
- RSS Bandit – my RSS reading tool of choice
- Office 2010 Beta 2 – including the Hotmail connector so I can read my mails in Outlook 2010
- Thwirl – my twitter client
- VMWare Workstation – I know I can do SharePoint 2010 development on my Windows 7 but I still prefer to work virtually. Anyone care to comment about using Virtualbox as an alternative?
- Camtasia and Snagit – excellent software for creating screencasts and screenshots.
- Winrar – extraction and compression program
- Mindjet MindManager – great tool for creating mindmaps
- Adobe Reader
- Zune Client software – don’t forget to install Windows Media Player first
- Spacesniffer – interesting little utility for diagnosing disk usage
I have to admit that as a SharePoint guy I do most of my work within my virtual machines so all the dev tools are installed on these machines. Although SharePoint 2010 can be installed on my Windows 7 I still prefer to use virtual machines – see Setting up the Development environment for SharePoint Server 2010.
Any other tools you can’t live without on your machine?