Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Solving SharePoint site not assigned to an indexer

This is something I came accross a couple of months ago when I was trying to access SharePoint search through code  - it gave the error "Your search cannot be completed because this site is not assigned to an indexer. Contact your administrator for more information." Apparently, there was something wrong in the configuration, to solve this - do the following:

  • Go to SharePoint Central Administration > Application Management > Content Databases (Underneath SharePoint Web Application Management).
  • Select the correct SharePoint web application – click on the name of the Content databases  - this will open the  “Manage Content Database Settings” page. 
  • Make sure that the Search Server is set on the “Manage Content Database Settings” page.
Technorati tags: , , ,

8 comments:

B said...

I am hoping you can help me because I am becoming desperate. I have been unable to get the search service to start on my server running WSS 3.0.

If I try to use the Central Admin interface I get "Unknown error". I tried various ways and got nowhere.

I eventually tried creating the database first in SQL Mgt studio and then running the command line stsadm. This produced the error "Could not find stored procedure dbo.proc_MSS_GetConfigurationProperty".

I have not found anything that will help. Hope you have some insight.

Anonymous said...

I continued to receive the unknown error or just error until I logged on to the server and completed the configuration form there.

Xerxel said...

Wow - You're a star! I never would have thought to look on the database page for a link to the search server! :-)

Anonymous said...

Worked great for me! Thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

I tried yur steps, but the Select Windows SharePoint Services search server dropdown is disabled. Is there another work around or do we need to reinstall?

Anonymous said...

Awesome, forgot to do this step...Thanks...worked for me...SPF 2010

Anonymous said...

I got the same error during development of a custom web part. I was referencing the wrong dlls in my Visual Studio Project.

http://lawo.wordpress.com/2010/07/24/error-this-site-is-not-assigned-to-an-indexer/

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot :) ..It worked for me...