The Podcasting Kit for SharePoint is definitely one of the coolest projects on Codeplex using SharePoint - http://www.codeplex.com/pks
So what does Podcasting Kit for SharePoint (PKS) do:
- It provides a platform for delivering audio/video podcasts (with support for Zune, Smartphone or other podcasting devices).
- I has a built-in rating system, tag cloud support and feedback through comments.
- Provide RSS feeds for updates about podcasts which are being delivered.
- Provides a Silverlight-based media plyer with support for progressive playback.
The source code for PKS is free for SharePoint customers under the Microsoft Public License.
I started playing around with PKS in june and after struggling to work myself through the 35 pages of installation documentation - I noticed that the June release was not compatible with Silverlight 2 Beta 2 (Bummer .... :-( ). Another important notice - PKS has been built to work on top of SharePoint Server 2007 - it does not work with WSS 3.0.
So what's new/fixed in the july release (still no support for Silverlight 2Beta 2 - expected for august release)
- Large file upload support via http and silverlight
- Podcaster search functionality working as designed
- RSS feeds working as designed
- Publish dates displaying correctly
- The RSS feeds have been updated to handle podcasting tags for any kind which will allow any podcast catching software to read them.
- The documentation has been updated significantly with many user-feedback requests added. One item that is specifically addressed in the documentation is the post installation configuration.
Can't wait to get my hands on the august release ....