Did you ever try to deploy content types across multiple site collections in SharePoint Server 2007 and keep them in sync afterwards? If so, you probably now that this is not that easy – there is not standard support for this in 2007. Some of you will have tried the SharePoint cross-site configurator on Codeplex. Luckily this issue has been solved with SharePoint 2010 which has built in support for central management of content types from a master site collection and afterwards pushing out the changes to other site collections – this commonly referred to as content type syndication and the content types within the master site collection hub are called enterprise content types. Another great feature enabled by the Enterprise Managed Metadata (EMM) service application.
- SharePoint 2010: Content type hubs – publish and subscribe to content types
- SharePoint 2010 content type subscriptions
- How to publish and subscribe to content types in SharePoint
- The basics on content type syndication in SharePoint 2010
- Using Enterprise Content Types and Managed Taxonomies in SharePoint 2010